Sunday, August 25, 2013

Late Summer Blueberry Muffins

Late Summer Blueberry Muffins

I love the farmer's market in August! Fresh garden tomatoes, sweet corn, and berries, berries, berries. I loaded up this weekend in an attempt to make the most of what's left of the summer. I even froze some of my blueberries for the first time. It worked beautifully and now I can enjoy fresh blueberries next month also.

I want to share this recipe for blueberry muffins that my mother has been making for as long as I can remember. It was probably originally from a 1960's ladies magazine. I have made this recipe with whole wheat flour and did not enjoy them. I now use white whole wheat flour or all purpose flour. I also use almond milk, but have used soy milk and skim milk to good results.

A few tips:
1. Be sure to stir very very gently. If you have a tendency to mix over-enthusiastically, be sure to just fold the ingredients together until all the flour is off the bottom of the bowl and you don’t have any big pockets of flour in your batter.

2. Gently toss the blueberries in flour before you add them to the batter. This will keep them all from falling to the bottom of the muffins.

Late Summer Blueberry Muffins

Blueberry Muffin Recipe - Makes 12

1 3/4 C sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 C sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 well-beaten egg
3/4 C milk (whole, skim, soy, or almond)
1/3 C canola oil
1 C fresh blueberries

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt.
Combine egg, milk & oil.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add egg mixture.
Stir gently just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Gently stir in blueberries.
Fill greased or papered muffin tins 2/3 full.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (optional)
Bake for 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Tip muffins to one side while cooling to prevent steaming crusts.

These beauties are a great addition to a BBQ chicken, corn-on-the-cob, and potato salad dinner. Yum! They also freeze well. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment