Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Better Than Gone Girl

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

I just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. This book is truly dark and left a much bigger impression on me than Gone Girl did. I enjoyed Gone Girl while I was on vacation but there was something unsatisfying about it to me. It was too...orderly. I like stories that show how messy life can be.  A large part of Gone Girl was how planned and organized a large part of the plot was, but that is exactly what left me a bit cold.  As I said, I enjoyed it while I was reading it but it is not the type of story that will stay with me.

Dark Places has more sympathetic characters and more characters in general. Their lives are complicated and they have struggles and flaws.  This book is also literally messy and downright gory. I'm no wimp but I could not bring myself to read it before bed. For that, I had a palette cleanser book.

My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me by Hilary Winston

My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me by Hilary Winston was my go-to book at bedtime while reading Dark Places. (Yes, I am a multiple reader.  I usually can't handle more than two at a time though or else I get impatient to finish at least one of them.) Hilary's exboyfriend did indeed write a book where she figured heavily. He also referred to her in this book as his "fat ass girlfriend." Nice guy right? Hilary writes about him, her other exboyfriends, and her almost-boyfriends. She is single, a television writer, and loves her cats. She loves her cats as a single girl loud and proud! I'm all for tearing that cats + single lady = sad stereotype. This book is amusing, very relatable and had a few LOL moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment